Subject: [hwloc-devel] upcoming hwloc v1.7
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-07 17:58:51

Hello,

I am starting to think about doing a first release candidate of hwloc
v1.7. We already have quite a lot of important changes in trunk
    http://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/hwloc/trunk/NEWS

The addition of BlueGene/Q and NetBSD support won't hurt.
The addition of OpenCL, CUDA, NVML, GL, and MIC/XeonPhi I/O objects
shouldn't cause much problem either.

The change that may be dangerous is the new hwloc/plugins.h public
headers to building external plugins:
    http://svn.open-mpi.org/svn/hwloc/trunk/include/hwloc/plugins.h
We have a specific ABI field in the main component structure
(hwloc_component) to avoid problems in case we break this new ABI.
Breaking it isn't as bad as breaking the main hwloc ABI, but it'd still
be good to not break it in every major release anyway. If you see
anything to change to make things more future-proof, let me know, I'd
rather change it before v1.7. Adding a flags field to struct
hwloc_disc_component could be an idea (only hwloc_component and
hwloc_backend have one for now).

If you need anything else in v1.7, let me know too. trac still says we
miss "get_last_memory_location()" but I still don't know what's the good
interface for this. https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/hwloc/ticket/96

Brice