Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] libpci: GPL
From: Pavan Balaji (balaji_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-05 17:52:49

Cc'ed a bunch of mpich folks.

Dave forwarded this link, which has some good information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_General_Public_License#Point_of_view:_dynamic_and_static_linking_violate_GPL

If libpci was disabled by default, would hwloc still come under the same
GPL issue?

I checked libnuma, which seems to be LGPL (phew!), but didn't look at
the remaining libraries hwloc uses.

 -- Pavan

On 02/05/2013 04:09 PM US Central Time, Paul Hargrove wrote:
> IANAL
>
> I think that it would be possible to say something like:
> While hwloc is BSD licensed, it may potentially link to libraries
> with more restrictive license terms.
>
> However, that is more or less true of ANY software.
> For instance, if I compile some BSD licensed software on AIX with
> '-static' then IBM's libc ends up in my binary.
> I am not saying that IBM's libc poses any specific issues, just using it
> as an example.
> So, this is in no way a unique situation for hwloc.
>
> I think that if hwloc were to explicitly list libpci then we start a
> dangerous precedent under which users may expect us
> to continuously "audit" the libs used on various systems.
>
> -Paul
>

> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
> <jsquyres_at_[hidden] <mailto:jsquyres_at_[hidden]>> wrote:
>
> It was just pointed out to me that libpci is licensed under the GPL
> (not the LGPL).
>
> Hence, even though hwloc is BSD, if it links to libpci.*, it's tainted.
>
> IANAL, this is not legal advice, yadda yadda yadda. But does this
> jive with other peoples' understanding?
>
> This has caused a problem for an unnamed vendor who wanted to ship a
> binary tool that linked against libhwloc (that linked against
> libpci). Yoinks.
>
> The complaint to me was that hwloc needs to be clearer about this in
> its documentation.
>
> Does this sound right?
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden] <mailto:jsquyres_at_[hidden]>

> <mailto:PHHargrove_at_[hidden]>
> Future Technologies Group
> Computer and Data Sciences Department Tel: +1-510-495-2352

Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji