Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] libpci: GPL
From: Paul Hargrove (phhargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-05 17:09:18

IANAL

I think that it would be possible to say something like:
   While hwloc is BSD licensed, it may potentially link to libraries with
more restrictive license terms.

However, that is more or less true of ANY software.
For instance, if I compile some BSD licensed software on AIX with '-static'
then IBM's libc ends up in my binary.
I am not saying that IBM's libc poses any specific issues, just using it as
an example.
So, this is in no way a unique situation for hwloc.

I think that if hwloc were to explicitly list libpci then we start a
dangerous precedent under which users may expect us to continuously "audit"
the libs used on various systems.

-Paul

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Jeff Squyres (jsquyres)
<jsquyres_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> It was just pointed out to me that libpci is licensed under the GPL (not
> the LGPL).
>
> Hence, even though hwloc is BSD, if it links to libpci.*, it's tainted.
>
> IANAL, this is not legal advice, yadda yadda yadda. But does this jive
> with other peoples' understanding?
>
> This has caused a problem for an unnamed vendor who wanted to ship a
> binary tool that linked against libhwloc (that linked against libpci).
> Yoinks.
>
> The complaint to me was that hwloc needs to be clearer about this in its
> documentation.
>
> Does this sound right?
>
> --
> Jeff Squyres