Subject: [hwloc-devel] libpci: GPL
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-05 16:50:50

It was just pointed out to me that libpci is licensed under the GPL (not the LGPL).

Hence, even though hwloc is BSD, if it links to libpci.*, it's tainted.

IANAL, this is not legal advice, yadda yadda yadda. But does this jive with other peoples' understanding?

This has caused a problem for an unnamed vendor who wanted to ship a binary tool that linked against libhwloc (that linked against libpci). Yoinks.

The complaint to me was that hwloc needs to be clearer about this in its documentation.

Does this sound right?