Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] v1.7
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-07 12:59:48

Jeff Squyres (jsquyres), le Mon 07 Jan 2013 18:01:53 +0100, a écrit :
> More specifically: you only ever want to specify exactly what you *do* or *do not* want to be loaded. Why would you ever list both?

Because I may not know *everything* that I want. Who knows what
proprietary plugin I need to use to discover CPUs, while I know that for
GPUs I can use cuda, but I don't want to use nvml.

> Taking your example: HWLOC_COMPONENTS=foo,^bar,^baz,yow
> Is the same as: HWLOC_COMPONENTS=foo,yow

No, because there is also the implicit "and the default plugins" after
that.

> So why bother listing ^bar and ^baz?

Because I know I want to avoid them. But I don't know which other ones
are loaded by default and should have.

Samuel