Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] v1.7
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-07 09:05:55

Hello,

Brice Goglin, le Mon 31 Dec 2012 10:05:41 +0100, a écrit :
> + The HWLOC_COMPONENTS may now start with '^' to only define a list of
> components to exclude.

I'm finding it not intuitive and not generic enough, I'm wondering how
that didn't affect Open-MPI, which as IUI uses this convention.

It means that

HWLOC_COMPONENTS=^cuda,opencl

disables cuda *and* opencl, while intuition would have told me that it
disables cuda but enables opencl.

Also, one would for instance want to be able to do this:

HWLOC_COMPONENTS=x86,^cuda,^opencl,nvml

To be able to enable x86 before the default linux, but disable cuda and
opencl, but enable nvml, as well as all the other usual plugins (without
having to know the list, which is important for future extensions).

Samuel