Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-svn] svn:hwloc r4815 - branches/components/src
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-05 11:36:09

Jeff Squyres, le Wed 05 Sep 2012 17:23:36 +0200, a écrit :
> 1. We do not allow "./configure --enable-static --enable-shared". Even though that's valid Automake/Libtool (i.e., it'll generate libhwloc.a *and* libhwloc.so), we don't allow it.

Well, actually for instance Debian builds once with -static, and once
with -shared, and installs both...

BTW, I guess it wasn't attempted to make OMPI plugins work on windows?
The nightmare is even worse there...

> 2. If --enable-shared (which is OMPI's default), we build plugins as DSOs and do not link them against libmpi.so (and friends).
>
> 3. If --enable-static, we build plugins are part of libmpi.a (and friends). Issues #9 and #12 from table 1 on the wiki are avoided, as are
>
> 4. However: in both libmpi.so / libmpi.a cases, we can still allow the use of DSOs -- e.g., if a vendor drops in another DSO plugin that OMPI will just find/load/use at run time. This is cases #2, #5, #8, and #11 in table 1.

Don't these vendor-provided DSO need to use some OMPI functions?

That said it looks a not too bad solution: avoiding loading plugins in
the static case, but still allowing third-party plugins, and it's up to
the user to make it work :)

Samuel