Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-svn] svn:hwloc r4815 - branches/components/src
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-05 11:08:02

On Sep 5, 2012, at 10:23 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:

>> The problem I was trying to fix below is that linking hwloc plugins on
>> Darwin failed because plugins referred to hwloc-core symbols. Nothing on
>> the libtool command-line said where to find those symbols (I don't
>> understand why it worked on other platforms).
>
> Because on other platforms, undefined symbols are allowed.

Undefined symbols at .so-creation time are allowed on all platforms (even OS X). But they must be resolved at load time.

To be clear: we have exactly the same situation in OMPI, and we do not link any of our DSOs against libmpi.so (we used to, but we don't any more because of the discussion on the https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/Linkers wiki page).