Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] merging the valarray branch (with a better name)
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-24 17:44:38

On Aug 24, 2012, at 5:17 PM, George Bosilca wrote:

>> hwloc_obj_t already has a "void *userdata" for this. But we cannot store
>> it in XML unless we know what it contains.
>
> Contiguous binary structures with a known size can be stored in a XML file. Instead of forcing the upper level to store their meaningful information as arrays of one of a few predefined types, let them deal with the content of the binary object, and focus on preserving the binary objects in the XML structure.
>
>> Exporting to XML is strictly required here since people want to add
>> values to the XML topology in a preliminary benchmarking programs, and
>> later read it back in their actual application (a charm++ scheduler).
>
> XDR exists for ensuring consistency. Let them store what they want not just arrays.

These are good points. Perhaps userdata is enough, and if they want the userdata to be in the XML, they can provide a callback to return an XML blob (which may be a set of new attributes, or perhaps just one big binary blob). If they don't provide a callback, then the user data is not included in the blob.

(perhaps 2 callbacks are needed: one for writing XML, one for reading XML)