Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] lstopo-gui
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-24 16:14:24

On May 24, 2012, at 11:30 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:

> So what you dislike isn't the split, it's the fact that lstopo doesn't
> behave as it did earlier. You want lstopo-nogui and lstopo instead of
> lstopo and lstopo-gui. And alternative systems can make lstopo point to
> lstopo-nogui when the real lstopo isn't installed.

Taking a step back and looking objectively, I think that's a good assessment and probably a good simple solution (i.e., make "lstopo" be the one with the Cario/etc. support).

FWIW, "gui" and "nogui" are not necessarily good names. The current lstopo-gui isn't really a traditional GUI application (even though it can display a trivial X window). I seem to recall that "nox" was discarded as a possibility, because lstopo supports more than just X.

Are there other traditional suffixes that are used for this kind of thing? Or is lstopo kinda unique in this area?

> If you prefer adding plugin support, I won't be against : my intern will
> likely need some plugin support in the core soon anyway.

Fair enough. I'll see if I can get to it.