Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] lstopo-gui
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-24 11:30:59

Le 24/05/2012 17:16, Jeff Squyres a écrit :
> Just for the record, I really, really dislike the fact that we've now split lstopo into lstopo and lstopo-gui.
>
> Especially since I keep flipping back and forth between hwloc 1.4 and the hwloc trunk, I continually get it wrong on the command line (e.g., use "lstopo foo.pdf" when I needed to use lstopo-gui, or use "lstopo-gui foo.pdf" when it doesn't exist).
>
> I think real users will be just as annoyed when they upgrade to hwloc 1.5. I really think we should revisit the issue and find a way to accommodate those who don't want lots of dependencies in downstream binary packaging without splitting into 2 different binaries.
>
> *** I say this because I think that the common case will be people who don't give a whit about extra dependencies and just want lstopo to output pretty jpg/pdf/whatever pictures -- just like it used to in all prior versions. /etc/alternatives is not a good enough solution for us here upstream; consider platforms that don't have /etc/alternatives-like solutions (OS X, Windows).

So what you dislike isn't the split, it's the fact that lstopo doesn't
behave as it did earlier. You want lstopo-nogui and lstopo instead of
lstopo and lstopo-gui. And alternative systems can make lstopo point to
lstopo-nogui when the real lstopo isn't installed.

If you prefer adding plugin support, I won't be against : my intern will
likely need some plugin support in the core soon anyway.

Brice