Subject: [hwloc-devel] lstopo-gui
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-24 11:16:03

Just for the record, I really, really dislike the fact that we've now split lstopo into lstopo and lstopo-gui.

Especially since I keep flipping back and forth between hwloc 1.4 and the hwloc trunk, I continually get it wrong on the command line (e.g., use "lstopo foo.pdf" when I needed to use lstopo-gui, or use "lstopo-gui foo.pdf" when it doesn't exist).

I think real users will be just as annoyed when they upgrade to hwloc 1.5. I really think we should revisit the issue and find a way to accommodate those who don't want lots of dependencies in downstream binary packaging without splitting into 2 different binaries.

*** I say this because I think that the common case will be people who don't give a whit about extra dependencies and just want lstopo to output pretty jpg/pdf/whatever pictures -- just like it used to in all prior versions. /etc/alternatives is not a good enough solution for us here upstream; consider platforms that don't have /etc/alternatives-like solutions (OS X, Windows).