Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] MPICH2 patches for hwloc
From: Pavan Balaji (balaji_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-11 15:17:47

On 05/11/2012 02:10 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
> On May 11, 2012, at 2:35 PM, Pavan Balaji wrote:
>
>> 1. The patch to Makefile.am is an ugly hack to get "make dist"
>> working in hydra. Specifically, autogen.sh was having trouble
>> running in the tarball created by "make dist", since it still
>> expects the utils, tests, and doc directories to be available, but
>> they are never included in the embedded builds. This is definitely
>> *not* something you should include upstream, so please only
>> consider this as a bug report instead. What are other packages
>> using hwloc in embedded mode doing?
>
> Agreed, this is ick. I haven't really figured out a better way to do
> it, because the SUBDIRS clause has to be in a Makefile.am -- I
> couldn't hide it in the configure.ac, for example (where it wouldn't
> be included by embedding packages that only use the .m4 files). :-\
>
> In OMPI, we actually import the whole hwloc tarball *except* for
> those 3 directories. BUT: we leave token directories there so that
> automake will be happy (with a trivial README file in each so that
> git/hg don't delete the empty directories). For example:
>
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/browser/trunk/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc132/hwloc/utils
>
> Got any better suggestions?

I think commenting those directories in Makefile.am like we do is a
simpler patch that deleting those directories, though both of them play
the same role. But either way, it's a horrible hack. I was hoping
there was some autotools magic to workaround this that we are missing.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji