Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] MPICH2 patches for hwloc
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-05-11 15:10:40

On May 11, 2012, at 2:35 PM, Pavan Balaji wrote:

> 1. The patch to Makefile.am is an ugly hack to get "make dist" working in hydra. Specifically, autogen.sh was having trouble running in the tarball created by "make dist", since it still expects the utils, tests, and doc directories to be available, but they are never included in the embedded builds. This is definitely *not* something you should include upstream, so please only consider this as a bug report instead. What are other packages using hwloc in embedded mode doing?

Agreed, this is ick. I haven't really figured out a better way to do it, because the SUBDIRS clause has to be in a Makefile.am -- I couldn't hide it in the configure.ac, for example (where it wouldn't be included by embedding packages that only use the .m4 files). :-\

In OMPI, we actually import the whole hwloc tarball *except* for those 3 directories. BUT: we leave token directories there so that automake will be happy (with a trivial README file in each so that git/hg don't delete the empty directories). For example:

https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/browser/trunk/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc132/hwloc/utils

Got any better suggestions?