Subject: [hwloc-devel] lstopo-nox strikes back
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-25 05:38:00

Hello,

We recently got some complains from redhat/centos users that wanted to
install hwloc on their cluster but couldn't because it brought so many X
libraries that they don't care about.

Debian solves this by having two hwloc packages: the main hwloc one, and
hwloc-nox where cairo is disabled. You just install one of them,
packages are marked as conflicting with each others.

I asked Jirka, our fellow RPM hwloc packager. He feels that RPM distros
don't work that way. They usually have a core 'foo' package without X,
and something such as 'foo-gui' with the X-enabled binary. So you'd have
lstopo and lstopo-gui installed at the same time.

I don't have any preference but RPM is much more widely used than deb in
HPC, so we must consider the issue, either in hwloc or in RPM packaging.
And we need a solution that is consistent across distros (we don't want
users to get lost because Debian/Ubuntu lstopo is graphical while RPM
lstopo is not and lstopo-gui is).

It's not hard to build two lstopo binaries in the same hwloc (quick
patch attached). But we'd need to decide their names (lstopo/lstopo-nox,
lstopo/lstopo-nogui, lstopo-gui/lstopo), and find a good way to make the
existing packages deal with them.

How do people feel about this? Is it ok to choose between hwloc and
hwloc-nox packages on Debian/Ubuntu? Does somebody want to *always* have
a lstopo-nox installed? Should the default lstopo be graphical/cario or not?

Brice