Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] 1.3.2rc1 has escaped
From: Paul H. Hargrove (PHHargrove_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-02-08 19:41:10

On 2/8/2012 4:31 PM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> Paul H. Hargrove, le Thu 09 Feb 2012 01:28:53 +0100, a écrit :
>> Option #4:
>> CFLAGS='-qhalt=e -qsuppress=1506-077'
>> Appears to work for me for xlc-8.0 and xlc-9.0.
> That still looks dangerous to me: we don't know whatever warning
> might be added in the future. I'd rather add -qhalt=e only for the
> sched_setaffinity test.

I don't recommend adding -qsuppress automatically, just documenting it
for users that need xlc-8 or xlc-9.
If nothing else, this "work-around" is now in the hwloc-devel archives
for the search engines.
Sorry that I wasn't clear on what I meant to do with those CFLAGS.

Regarding "we don't know whatever warning might be added in the future.":
"1506-077" is the number for this particular warning about invalid
wchar_t constants.
So this suppresses ONLY the one message and should be pretty safe.
Based on looking at the constants, this message is being issued
ERRONEOUSLY by these compilers.

I do agree w/ Samuel that the BEST solution is to apply "-qhalt=e" ONLY
to the test(s) where one expects the compiler to through errors (rather
than warnings) for function calls with argument counts which don't match
the prototypes. At the moment, I am 90% certain that the "old
sched_setaffinity()" probe is the only one fitting that description.

-Paul

Future Technologies Group