Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] pcilib error messages w/ rhl8 and hwloc-1.3.1rc1
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-14 16:21:48

Le 14/12/2011 21:56, Paul H. Hargrove a écrit :
> Now that I think of it, this situation seems to imply that running the
> code in topology-libpci.c as root on a system w/ a Intel PIIX4
> controller could lock-up ones machine. Thoughts?

I can't know for sure. I would be surprised if sudo lspci -xxx could
lockup an entire machine. If it was that dangerous, I hope that the
kernel guys would have added a quirk for this device to prevent people
from killing the machine. What do they mean with "random location" in
the comment ? Something between 64 and 256 ? Or something really random
after 256 ?

FWIW, I increased the cached config space from 64 bytes to 256 when
adding support for getting the pcie link speed, which is indeed only
available to root (extended pcie capability).

The attached patch might work. I am not sure all this is actually
necessary because things have been working fine so far, apart from your
warnings.

By the way, does lstopo show PCI devices on your machine even when you
have these warnings?

Brice