Subject: [hwloc-devel] WHOLE_SYSTEM and cpusets (was: 1.3.1 and 1.4rc1)
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-14 10:02:56

Re-subjecting this thread...

Hmm. The WHOLE_SYSTEM flag is confusing. It's only defined in the docs in terms of negative logic.

Is it true that if you don't supply WHOLE_SYSTEM, then

- cpuset may not be equal to complete_cpuset
- cpuset is comprised only of PUs that you can bind to
- cpuset is already the logical AND of allowed_cpuset and online_cpuset
- (ditto for nodeset / complete_nodeset)

And if you *do* supply WHOLE_SYSTEM, then

- cpuset will be equal to complete_cpuset
- cpuset is not necessarily the logical AND of allowed_cpuset and online_cpuset

Is that correct?

On Dec 13, 2011, at 1:01 PM, Brice Goglin wrote:

> Le 13/12/2011 18:47, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
>> I'd say that some people might want WHOLE_SYSTEM while still needing
>> the bindable cpuset.
>
> Let's wait for those people to complain before adding a 8th
> cpuset/nodeset to the object structure. If they do complain and they
> really don't want to AND the cpusets manually, we'll think about it.
>
> Brice

For corporate legal information go to: