Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] 1.3.1 and 1.4rc1
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-12-13 10:22:59

On Dec 13, 2011, at 8:09 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:

> Last feeling: The more I think about PCI support, the more I wonder
> whether it will be used for anything but getting nice lstopo outputs.
> Inline helpers are already great for many cases, people just need
> locality info in most cases, so I wonder if people will actually use PCI
> as hwloc objects except in lstopo. The same question comes for GPUs.

I can't speak for GPUs, but I think the PCI information will be useful to know what devices are close to what PUs / NUMA nodes. That information can be used to make decisions about binding, for example (i.e., you want to be "close" to the specific PCI resources that you'll be using).

Jeff Squyres
For corporate legal information go to: