Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-svn] svn:hwloc r4006
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-30 16:42:07

Le 30/11/2011 22:36, Jeff Squyres a écrit :
> On Nov 30, 2011, at 6:42 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
>>> I see how libnuma is Linux-specific; but is the level of memory binding uniform across all other OS's? I.e., do we need to print the same kind of granularity of memory support for other OS's?
>> It'd be tedious. The difference, however, is that other OS's usually
>> include everything they can for that, and to get the support you'd have
>> to upgrade the OS, not just install e.g. libnuma. Linux is a bit
>> particular in that regard in that libnuma is not installed by default.
> Hmm.
>
> This is significantly less appealing to me, now. Given that this is Linux-specific, and the information is already displayed above, I'm seeing less value in this (probably related to the fact that this will be more maintenance hassle / less uniform experience for the user).

We could just print something like "libnuma support: yes/no" depending
on whether libnuma+numa.h are installed. It is quite common not to have
libnuma installed, so having this in the summary is good. But having a
very old libnuma installed without migratepages+mbind+setmempolicy
should be pretty rare nowadays, so having these details in the summary
shouldn't be needed.

Brice