Subject: [hwloc-devel] understanding PCI device to NUMA node connection
From: Guy Streeter (streeter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-11-28 16:34:14

This question may be more about understanding NUMA (which I barely do) than
about hwloc, but perhaps you can help anyway.

I have a customer with some HP Proliant DL580 G7 servers. HP supplied them
with a block diagram of their system, and it shows two of the NUMA nodes
connected to the PCI devices through an I/O Hub. The customer thinks hwloc
ought to show the PCI devices associated with both of the NUMA nodes. I'm not
sure how that's possible. hwloc shows them all under the first node.

Is the association of the devices with the nodes correct? Can the devices
actually be equally "close" to both of them?

On a side note, hwloc-gather-topology apparently doesn't gather device
information? I got the output from their system but can't see any devices when
I use it as input to hwloc-info etc.

thanks,
--Guy