Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Something lighter-weight than XML?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-24 10:59:02

Here's some feedback from Ralph -- any idea what's going wrong here?

-----

1. I export a topology into xml using

       hwloc_topology_export_xmlbuffer(t, &xmlbuffer, &len);

I then pack and send the string.

2. I unpack the string on the other end and import it into a topology
       hwloc_topology_init(&t);
       if (0 != (rc = hwloc_topology_set_xmlbuffer(t, xmlbuffer, strlen(xmlbuffer)))) {
           hwloc_topology_destroy(t);
           goto cleanup;
       }
       hwloc_topology_load(t);

3. I then need to compare two topologies, so I export the topology I received into another xml string
   hwloc_topology_export_xmlbuffer(t1, &x1, &l1);

It is this export that fails, which implies to me that somehow the import didn't work right. Note that this code worked fine with libxml2, so this is a regression.

On Sep 22, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Yes, I can get some testing of the ompi branch pretty quickly. I can bring in a new copy of this later today and see what we can see.
>
> Many thanks!
>

> On Sep 19, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:
>
>> I pushed the new minimalistic XML import/export implementation without
>> libxml2 to the nolibxml branch. If libxml2 is available, it's still used
>> by default. --disable-libxml2 or some env variables can be used for
>> force the minimalistic implementation if needed. The minimalistic implem
>> is only guaranteed to import XML files that were generated by hwloc
>> (even if libxml was enabled there).
>>
>> I also backported most of this to the new v1.2-ompi branch (required to
>> backport some other XML cleanups from trunk). This branch will now serve
>> as a base for Open MPI's embedded hwloc. The idea is to have a complete
>> v1.2 + nolibxml somewhere so that we can at least run make check (Open
>> MPI does not embed enough to run hwloc's make check).
>>
>> How do we proceed now? Can we have the OMPI guys test the new code soon?
>> Should I wait for their feedback before merging the nolibxml branch into
>> the trunk? I'd like to merge this in v1.3 too (and basically release rc2
>> as the actual first feature-complete RC), so getting feedback early
>> might be appreciated.
>>
>> Brice

> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]