Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Something lighter-weight than XML?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-22 10:14:08

I have to run out ATM so I can't dig into this deeply for a few hours, but with a first take, I'm getting this error:

Making all in src
  CC topology.lo
topology.c: In function 'hwloc_discover':
topology.c:1673: error: 'OPAL_HWLOC121hwloc_BACKEND_XML' undeclared (first use in this function)
topology.c:1673: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
topology.c:1673: error: for each function it appears in.)
topology.c:1674: error: implicit declaration of function 'opal_hwloc121hwloc_look_xml'
topology.c: In function 'hwloc_backend_exit':
topology.c:2078: error: 'OPAL_HWLOC121hwloc_BACKEND_XML' undeclared (first use in this function)
topology.c:2079: error: implicit declaration of function 'opal_hwloc121hwloc_backend_xml_exit'
topology.c: In function 'opal_hwloc121hwloc_topology_set_xml':
topology.c:2134: error: implicit declaration of function 'opal_hwloc121hwloc_backend_xml_init'
make[1]: *** [topology.lo] Error 1
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

We use the hwloc prefix stuff in the OMPI embedded build; did something not get prefixed properly in the minimal XML stuff?

Back in a few hours...

On Sep 22, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

> Yes, I can get some testing of the ompi branch pretty quickly. I can bring in a new copy of this later today and see what we can see.
>
> Many thanks!
>

> On Sep 19, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:
>
>> I pushed the new minimalistic XML import/export implementation without
>> libxml2 to the nolibxml branch. If libxml2 is available, it's still used
>> by default. --disable-libxml2 or some env variables can be used for
>> force the minimalistic implementation if needed. The minimalistic implem
>> is only guaranteed to import XML files that were generated by hwloc
>> (even if libxml was enabled there).
>>
>> I also backported most of this to the new v1.2-ompi branch (required to
>> backport some other XML cleanups from trunk). This branch will now serve
>> as a base for Open MPI's embedded hwloc. The idea is to have a complete
>> v1.2 + nolibxml somewhere so that we can at least run make check (Open
>> MPI does not embed enough to run hwloc's make check).
>>
>> How do we proceed now? Can we have the OMPI guys test the new code soon?
>> Should I wait for their feedback before merging the nolibxml branch into
>> the trunk? I'd like to merge this in v1.3 too (and basically release rc2
>> as the actual first feature-complete RC), so getting feedback early
>> might be appreciated.
>>
>> Brice

> Jeff Squyres
> jsquyres_at_[hidden]