Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] CPU Model and type
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-13 09:23:53

Le 12/09/2011 21:01, Brice Goglin a écrit :
> Le 09/09/2011 13:25, TERRY DONTJE a écrit :
>> On 9/8/2011 3:10 PM, Brice Goglin wrote:
>>> Hello Terry,
>>>
>>> Indeed there's nothing like this as of today. We talked about it in
>>> the past but it's not very easy to implement on Linux (see below) so
>>> we forgot about it until somebody complained.
>>>
>>> Adding infos would certainly be fine. I think it should rather be
>>> "CPUType" and "CPUModel" since existing infos have no underscore in
>>> their name if I remember correctly. You could also set object->name
>>> to a combination of type and model. Socket looks like the right
>>> object to put this. Maybe even use "Model" and "Type" as the info
>>> names then?
>>>
>>> The reason it's not easy on Linux is that we usually take infos from
>>> either sysfs, or /proc/cpuinfo if sysfs isn't available, but not
>>> from both. Processor names are only in /proc/cpuinfo IIRC. So we'd
>>> need to mix sysfs and /proc/cpuinfo. Not easy with the current code,
>>> especially if you can't assume that all sockets are similar. But
>>> definitely something that I will do at some point.
>>>
>>> Brice
>>>
>> The way info objects would be attached to a Socket object I assume it
>> would be ok to just attach such an object under Solaris but not not
>> for the other OSes. Since one can look for the named object and it
>> is either going to be there or not :-).
>>
>> Anyway, I'll play around with this for Solaris.
>
> Looking at the code, you might want to drop hwloc_setup_level() and
> copy it back into the caller. It will make the addition of info
> attributes much easier. I am looking at the Linux side.

I just pushed some code that will make this much easier on Linux (I may
change the Solaris code similarly when I'll take time to test on a real
solaris machine).

Now I have a patch that reads the CPU vendor and model in /proc/cpuinfo
(x86 only for now) and use them to set Socket info attributes (CPUVendor
and CPUModel) and name (CPUVendor+CPUModel).

Before I push this, we need to clarify what we want. You were talking
about "CPUType" and "CPUModel". Can you give some example of what it
would look like under Solaris? I want to compare to what I can get on Linux.

Brice