Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] roadmap, XML/JSON/...
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-12 09:13:47

I had a thought about this issue this morning:

1. The XML export without libxml2 should be pretty easy (right?).

2. If we're importing exactly what was exported, that should also be pretty easy without libxml2 (right?). Meaning: there can be a very simplistic parser that only handles the expected ordering/cases/whatever that comes from #1.

3. If the simplistic XML parser in #2 fails, it can fall back to libxml2's importer for a "full" XML import (if libxml2 is available, of course).

Or, you could reduce these two down to the following:

1. If libxml2 is present, use it for both export and import.
2. If libxml2 is not present, use a simplistic exporter and importer. If the simplistic XML importer fails, show a helpful message "Compile hwloc with libxml2 for full XML import support," or something like that.

On Sep 6, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Brice Goglin wrote:

>>> I stopped working on JSON this to see where the idea of reimplementing
>>> our own XML parser would go.
>> Beyond your prior emails on this, any further thoughts? Especially if we restrict to ASCII-only?
>
> I would they that French developers are used to cast their names into
> ASCII. So restricting hwloc to ASCII would be ok for me. I am not sure I
> will use my name or my institution as a topology attribute anyway :)
>
> I don't have any non-ASCII char in my name or institution so I am open
> to other opinions :)
>
> Brice

For corporate legal information go to: