Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] CPU Model and type
From: TERRY DONTJE (terry.dontje_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-09 07:25:07

On 9/8/2011 3:10 PM, Brice Goglin wrote:
> Hello Terry,
>
> Indeed there's nothing like this as of today. We talked about it in
> the past but it's not very easy to implement on Linux (see below) so
> we forgot about it until somebody complained.
>
> Adding infos would certainly be fine. I think it should rather be
> "CPUType" and "CPUModel" since existing infos have no underscore in
> their name if I remember correctly. You could also set object->name to
> a combination of type and model. Socket looks like the right object to
> put this. Maybe even use "Model" and "Type" as the info names then?
>
> The reason it's not easy on Linux is that we usually take infos from
> either sysfs, or /proc/cpuinfo if sysfs isn't available, but not from
> both. Processor names are only in /proc/cpuinfo IIRC. So we'd need to
> mix sysfs and /proc/cpuinfo. Not easy with the current code,
> especially if you can't assume that all sockets are similar. But
> definitely something that I will do at some point.
>
> Brice

The way info objects would be attached to a Socket object I assume it
would be ok to just attach such an object under Solaris but not not for
the other OSes. Since one can look for the named object and it is
either going to be there or not :-).

Anyway, I'll play around with this for Solaris. Can I then email you
the diff for a review?

thanks,

--td

> Le 08/09/2011 20:57, TERRY DONTJE a écrit :
>> I wanted to verify that I am not overlooking something, but is there
>> any information stored in the hwloc topology tree that contains the
>> CPU Model and Type of chips in a machine? The closest I came was the
>> Machine "Architecture" info object. Unfortunately this object is not
>> specific enough so I am considering adding a couple info objects
>> (CPU_Model and CPU_Type) to the HWLOC_OBJ_SOCKET objects or maybe to
>> the Machine object in topology_solaris.c in the OMPI hwloc source base.
>>
>> First does that make sense and secondly does this sound like it might
>> be useful enough outside of OMPI that you'd want to buy back the
>> changes? There is similar data that can be gotten for Linux too.
>> Though I personally only need this for Solaris/SPARC systems.
>>
>> thanks,
>> --
>> Oracle
>> Terry D. Dontje | Principal Software Engineer
>> Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
>> Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
>> 95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
>> Email terry.dontje_at_[hidden] <mailto:terry.dontje_at_[hidden]>

Oracle
Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803

picture
picture