Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] CPU Model and type
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-08 15:10:05

Hello Terry,

Indeed there's nothing like this as of today. We talked about it in the
past but it's not very easy to implement on Linux (see below) so we
forgot about it until somebody complained.

Adding infos would certainly be fine. I think it should rather be
"CPUType" and "CPUModel" since existing infos have no underscore in
their name if I remember correctly. You could also set object->name to a
combination of type and model. Socket looks like the right object to put
this. Maybe even use "Model" and "Type" as the info names then?

The reason it's not easy on Linux is that we usually take infos from
either sysfs, or /proc/cpuinfo if sysfs isn't available, but not from
both. Processor names are only in /proc/cpuinfo IIRC. So we'd need to
mix sysfs and /proc/cpuinfo. Not easy with the current code, especially
if you can't assume that all sockets are similar. But definitely
something that I will do at some point.

Brice

Le 08/09/2011 20:57, TERRY DONTJE a écrit :
> I wanted to verify that I am not overlooking something, but is there
> any information stored in the hwloc topology tree that contains the
> CPU Model and Type of chips in a machine? The closest I came was the
> Machine "Architecture" info object. Unfortunately this object is not
> specific enough so I am considering adding a couple info objects
> (CPU_Model and CPU_Type) to the HWLOC_OBJ_SOCKET objects or maybe to
> the Machine object in topology_solaris.c in the OMPI hwloc source base.
>
> First does that make sense and secondly does this sound like it might
> be useful enough outside of OMPI that you'd want to buy back the
> changes? There is similar data that can be gotten for Linux too.
> Though I personally only need this for Solaris/SPARC systems.
>
> thanks,
> --
> Oracle
> Terry D. Dontje | Principal Software Engineer
> Developer Tools Engineering | +1.781.442.2631
> Oracle *- Performance Technologies*
> 95 Network Drive, Burlington, MA 01803
> Email terry.dontje_at_[hidden] <mailto:terry.dontje_at_[hidden]>

picture