Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Bug-Report: visibility=hiden on Sparc/Sun CC
From: Igor Galić (i.galic_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-06 11:41:03

----- Original Message -----
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 8:49 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>
> > Ah, it looks like we got around this in OMPI by explicitly checking
> > to see if the compiler vendor is Sun. Terrible! Let me see about
> > back-porting these changes from OMPI...
>
> I did some internal cleanup on that configury test and committed it
> to the trunk. Could you try it and see if it works for you? (I
> don't have a Sun compiler to test with)
>
> https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/hwloc/changeset/3773
>
> If you don't want to build from SVN (which requires fairly modern
> autotools versions), you can just wait for the nightly tarball

We've got those with OpenCSW, but as I'm packaging the software,
I'd rather stick to "stable" versions.

I applied the patch (after removing the fix to the copyright, which
didn't apply cleanly), ran autoreconf -if, and it still generated
warnings in regard to -fvisibility.

configure:8229: checking if /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc supports -fvisibility
configure:8244: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc -o conftest -g -m64 -xarch=sse2 -fvisibility=hidden -I/opt/csw/include -m64 -xarch=sse2 -L/opt/csw/lib/64 conftest.c >&5
cc: Warning: illegal option -fvisibility=hidden
configure:8244: $? = 0
configure:8263: result: yes
configure:8275: checking whether to enable symbol visibility
configure:8277: result: yes (via -fvisibility=hidden)
configure:8298: WARNING: "-fvisibility=hidden" has been added to the hwloc CFLAGS

I'll see if I can track this down.
At least now I know that adding -g to the CFLAGS makes the tests
pass, which is somehow worrying.

Igor Galić
Tel: +43 (0) 664 886 22 883
Mail: i.galic_at_[hidden]
GPG: 571B 8B8A FC97 266D BDA3  EF6F 43AD 80A4 5779 3257