Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] roadmap, XML/JSON/...
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-06 11:25:47

Le 06/09/2011 16:53, Jeff Squyres a écrit :
> On Sep 6, 2011, at 10:44 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:
>
>> v1.3rc1 has been released two weeks ago and many things are going on
>> right now, in all branches:
>> * I just finished fixing my pile of distance-related bugs (thanks to
>> multinode support and OMPI users). I backported the really important
>> ones in v1.3 and v1.2. Do we want a 1.2.2?
>> * I applied some non-trivial changes (mostly XML) to v1.3 after rc1,
>> which means rc2 won't be the final release.
>> * I wonder if we should also include in v1.3 the XML/JSON/whatever
>> export/import that's under discussion in another thread. If we need it
>> for OMPI, it may need a backport in v1.2 anyway, so getting early
>> feedback through v1.3 would be better.
> I'm a bit ambivalent about this:
>
> - I don't know where we ended up in the other thread: do we want JSON or no? If we can parse it easily without an external dependency, then I think it's worthwhile.

I stopped working on JSON this to see where the idea of reimplementing
our own XML parser would go.

> - OTOH, JSON would be a new feature, and probably shouldn't be introduced after a x.y.0 release.

Yeah but it's a new backend, it's supposed to not touch anything in the
core and to not break other backends.

> - I could bump OMPI to v1.3, but it's not as mature as 1.2.x, which just makes me a little nervous (the goal for the hwloc stuff is to bring it in late in the OMPI v1.5 series... but I've already got some feedback that there might be resistance to what we're proposing to use hwloc for in OMPI, so we'll see :-) ).

Agreed, v1.3 is too young for OMPI. I am not sure many people already
tried v1.3rc1. I wouldn't put it in OMPI before hwloc 1.3.1.

Brice