Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Something lighter-weight than XML?
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-06 08:52:52

My $0.02: for simplicity, let's force ASCII-only. If we get complaints/feature requests, we can see about updating to include non-ASCII.

But then again, I'm biased because I'm an American. You guys might have different views -- e.g., you need non-ASCII for your organization's name.

On Sep 5, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Brice Goglin wrote:

> Regarding XML encoding:
>
> It seems that libxml2 rewrites the following characters as XML entities:
> \n
> \r
> \t
> "
> <
>>
> &
>

> hwloc already tells libxml2 to export as UTF-8. However, a quick check
> seems to say that the output is not UTF8 when the locale isn't UTF8. We
> may need to cdouble-check/clarify/fix this.
>
> Or we can enforce ASCII-only for all strings. Should be OK for all
> strings we import from the OS. Will need to be enforced for user-given
> strings (object info attributes).
>
> Brice

For corporate legal information go to: