Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Something lighter-weight than XML?
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-05 03:22:33

Samuel thinks we could stay with XML and reimplement our own
parsing/dumping without libxml2.

My feeling about this is:
+ We would have a single file format for import/export.
+ Saving would likely be easy (copy-paste from the current code and/or
from the JSON export)
- Parsing would require some work (the libxml2-based parser isn't easy
to modify, but we could adapt the JSON parser)
- Encoding may be annoying. libxml2 does a lot of things to manage
strings properly. There's not a lot of special character in a usual XML
output, but there can be (because the user can annotate the objects).
- I am a bit afraid that we would go from a well-working XML support to
something much less reliable (do we need to be fully XML compliant so
that external programs can load our XML files and play with them?)

Opinions?

Brice