Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Something lighter-weight than XML?
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-09-01 11:49:33

Did you actually find many machines/distribs that don't have libxml2
installed by default? There are literaly hundreds of packages that
depend on libxml2 (at least in Debian) so I am not sure depending on it
is really a problem.

Also are there really some string space problems? Even when talking
about 1000 nodes transferring 100kB once at the beginning on the job, it
doesn't look too bad to me (and these XMLs could be cached on the
frontend as long as the compute nodes don't change).

Otherwise, implementing this is likely easy, especially if you find
somebody to do it :) Start from the XML export, convert it into a text
export, and write the corresponding import (starting from the XML import
may be hard because it's recursive).

Would you need an export to a file or to a memory buffer or both?

Last but not least: what's the deadline?

Brice