Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc trunk nightly 1.3a1r3511 fails to build on CentOS 5.6 & RHEL 5.6
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-06-14 08:39:57

On Jun 13, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Christopher Samuel wrote:

> Well oddly only one of the 2 locations had been built
> (the one with the makelog), but just in case I've redone
> it from scratch - compressed and attached.

Ok, these seem consistent. Thanks!

It looks like our test might not be hitting the same corner case as the final executable:

-----
configure:10145: checking for pci_init in -lpci
configure:10170: gcc -o conftest -I/usr/local/rsync/3.0.7/include -I/usr/local/openmpi/1.4.2-intel/include -L/usr/local/rsync/3.0.7/lib -L/usr/local/openmpi/1.4.2-intel/lib conftest.c -lpci >&5
configure:10170: $? = 0
configure:10179: result: yes
-----

Meaning: we had no problem linking against libpci.a in configure. So the hwloc build continued.

I can only assume that we're invoking some other libpci function in the code base that eventually ends up invoking other internal libpci functions that end up needing the __res_query symbol. Since linkers only pull in the relevant .o's from libraries (as determined by symbol-linking graphs), this seems like a plausible explanation.

So I guess we need to add another test to configure -- to see if we need to explicitly link in -lresolv.

Chris -- can you try linking this simple app to see if it causes the linker error, and further try adding -lresolv to see if that fixes the error?

------
#ifdef __cplusplus
extern "C"
#endif
char pci_lookup_name ();
int
main ()
{
return pci_lookup_name ();
  ;
  return 0;
}
-----

Try with:

gcc -o conftest conftest.c -lpci
gcc -o conftest conftest.c -lpci -lresolv

FWIW, on my RHEL 5 machine (with only libpci.a), both link commands seem to work (but my libpci.a doesn't have a __res_query symbol).

For corporate legal information go to: