Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] AMD fusion & hwloc
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-04-06 17:05:18

Hello,

What I call "GPU cores" is likely not shown by the operating systems as
"normal" cores. So hwloc would likely not show anything about them. The
new hwloc trunk has support for showing GPU devices (as long as they are
PCI devices), but we won't have any details about the cores inside these
I/O devices without specific support for their driver.

Reading your mail the gridengine mailing list, I see that you are
talking about Bulldozer. Somebody at AMD already ran hwloc on the
upcoming Interlagos processor a while ago, and it worked fine. But these
were only CPU cores, nothing about GPUs. Actually, I am not so familiar
with all these marketing names, so I don't really know if the "Fusion"
name applies to Bulldozer chips, or only to the already available
laptop-like Bobcat chips.

Brice