Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] CMake instead of m4
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres) (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-02-14 06:36:56

Both the Autotools and CMake are fine systems. We have used the Autotools for the past several years in OMPI projects for the following reasons:

- Autotools bootstrap a tarball (ie, the user does not need to have the Autotools installed), whereas CMake requires that the user have it installed. This is probably the most important issue - requiring the user have the build tool installed was a deal-breaker for us. We actually almost switched OMPI to scons a few years ago but ended up not doing so because of this.

- the Autotools people have given us *truly excellent* support over the past several years.

- the Autotools support more compilers than other solutions.

My knowledge on #1 and #3 might be a little dated, but that's what it was the last time I checked (perhaps 2-3 years ago?).

Sent from my PDA. No type good.