Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] [hwloc-svn] svn:hwloc r3046
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-18 18:13:17

Jeff Squyres, le Tue 18 Jan 2011 20:00:42 +0100, a écrit :
> On Jan 12, 2011, at 10:10 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > This is not what I meant: hwloc_alloc_membind_policy's purpose is only
> > to allocate bound memory. It happens that hwloc_alloc_membind_policy
> > _may_ change the process policy in order to be able to bind memory
> > at all (when the underlying OS does not have a directed allocation
> > primitive), but that's not necessary. If hwloc can simply call a
> > directed allocation primitive, it will do it. If the OS doesn't support
> > binding at all, then hwloc will just allocate memory.
>
> How's this?
>
> * Setting this policy will cause the OS to try to bind a new memory
> * allocation to the specified set.

Err, no, again hwloc_alloc_membind_policy's purpose is _not_ to set a
policy for future allocations, but _only_ to allocate data. It just
_happens_ to possibly have to change the current process policy in order
to achieve the binding, but that's only a side effect. Think of it as
"allocate bound memory, possibly changing the policy just for that".

> As a side effect, some operating
> * systems may change the current memory binding policy;

It's not really the system that changes the current memory binding
policy, it's hwloc which explicitly requests the operating to do so, in
order to actually get the desired binding.

I have rephrased it.

> >> + HWLOC_MEMBIND_INTERLEAVE = 3, /**< \brief Allocate memory on
> >
> > This is not really correct: if the threads were splitting the memory
> > amongst themselves, FIRSTTOUCH should be used instead, to migrate pages
> > close to where they are referenced from. I have rephrased that
>
> What's a good simple example scenario when it would be good to use INTERLEAVE, then?

Well, this is what I have put instead:

"Interleaving can be useful when threads distributed across the
specified NUMA nodes will all be accessing the whole memory range
concurrently, since the interleave will then balance the memory