Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] More memory binding questions
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-05 11:20:57

Jeff Squyres, le Wed 05 Jan 2011 15:44:58 +0100, a écrit :
> On Jan 5, 2011, at 5:43 AM, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>
> > It seems I forgot to copy/paste the documentation from the CPU part
> > about the STRICT flag, I've commited it:
> >
> > “When retrieving the binding of a memory range, this flag checks
> > whether all its pages actually have the same binding. If the flag is
> > not given, the binding of each page will be accumulated.”
>
> What do you mean by "accumulated"?

The memory nodes set to which pages are bound. For now it's only
implemented on windows and the policy is only returned as being
MEMBIND_BIND (because there is no smarter policy on windows actually).
I'm not sure which policy we will want to return when several subareas
have differing policies.

> >> What is the purpose of the IN flags argument?
> >
> > Answered above :) At least the STRICT flag.
>
> Is the STRICT flag the only flag that is allowable in all the _get_ functions?

THREAD/PROCESS are also allowed in the hwloc_get_membind() function
case. Migrate and nocpubind don't make sense.

> If other flags are passed, are they ignored or do they cause an error?

IIRC they are just ignored for now. We could easily make them cause an
error.

Samuel