Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Is hwloc supposed to work on s390 and s390x architecture?
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-04 18:17:29

Hello,

Jiri Hladky, le Tue 04 Jan 2011 23:52:21 +0100, a écrit :
> I got a crash course on s390.

(Not sure about the english meaning here: it does not mean hwloc
crashed, right?)

> They have an access to mainfraim with 18 CPUs and 128 GB of RAM. However, the
> mainframe is usually divided into the smaller partitions ( LPAR) on which
> virtual machines are running.

That's what I've understood from echoes from Debian s390 porters indeed.

> In this particular case they have tested hwloc on the virtual machine running
> on partition with 2GB of RAM and 4 CPUs of which only 1 was online. This is
> certainly not a typical use-case for hwloc. Nevertheless, great news is that
> hwloc is running just fine on this box! :-)

Indeed:

> Machine (P#0 local=2048132KB total=2048132KB Backend=Linux)
> Socket L#0
> Core L#0 (P#0)
> PU L#0 (P#0)
> depth 0: 1 Machine (type #1)
> depth 1: 1 Socket (type #3)
> depth 2: 1 Core (type #5)
> depth 3: 1 PU (type #6)
> 63 processors not represented in topology: 0xffffffff,0xfffffffe
> 3 processors offline: 0x0000000e
> 3 processors allowed but not online: 0x0000000e

So sockets and cores were detected, as well as the off-line processors,
that's good!

(cache are apparently not in the tar, and I can't find code about them
in linux/arch/s390 anyway)

Samuel