Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Is hwloc supposed to work on s390 and s390x architecture?
From: Jiri Hladky (hladky.jiri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2011-01-04 17:51:55

Hi Samuel,

I got a crash course on s390.

The main goal of the guys around emerging Fedora's s390 distribution is to
have as many packages as possible available for s390 to avoid dependency
problems. They are trying to port all x86_64 packages to s390. They do it
even for packages which are not particuarly usefull on s390. And this seems
to be the case with hwloc.

They have an access to mainfraim with 18 CPUs and 128 GB of RAM. However,
the mainframe is usually divided into the smaller partitions ( LPAR) on
which virtual machines are running.

In this particular case they have tested hwloc on the virtual machine
running on partition with 2GB of RAM and 4 CPUs of which only 1 was online.
This is certainly not a typical use-case for hwloc. Nevertheless, great news
is that hwloc is running just fine on this box! :-)

FYI, s390 does not support NUMA (to answer the question I have posted
here:-) )

For completeness I have attached output of hwloc-gather-topology as well in
case somebody would like to have a look.

Thanks
Jirka