Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] gather-topology fix and manpage
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-21 02:35:55

Le 21/12/2010 00:37, Jiri Hladky a écrit :
> Regarding the naming. I would argue that since the utility is
> currently called
> hwloc-gather-topology.sh
> then the man page should be named
> hwloc-gather-topology.sh.1
>
> What's your opinion?

Fine with me. I wasn't sure because you originally named your file
without .sh.

> Your code will give a usage message whenever -<anything> is used.
> Would not be better to use the case statement to check if
> -h | --help has been used to give the usage message
> -<anything> to check if invalid option has been entered and give:
> error message Unknown option and usage message

I fixed this.

> BTW, there are Bash's native commands to get a substring.
> ${string:position:length}. To get the first char just do
> echo ${name:0:1}
> See http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/string-manipulation.html

Right, but it's bash specific, so I am not sure we want to go there. We
only use sh only so far.

> Also, is there any reason not have -h|--help officially documented in
> the man page?

-h|--help wasn't properly implemented, I'll add it now.

I am pushing all this to trunk now. And I will likely backport
everything to v1.1 later today (I need to make sure that I didn't break
the build system by having the new manpage only built/installed on Linux).

thanks,
Brice