Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Images from lstopo slightly truncated width wise when in cpuset
From: Jiri Hladky (hladky.jiri_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-19 17:30:06

Hi Samuel,

I have now patch file ready:-) Thanks.

However, I have decided to improve hwloc-gather-topology.sh and added the
man page to hwloc-gather-topology.sh as well.

In the current version (1.1), hwloc-gather-topology.sh is not very robust:
hwloc-gather-topology.sh /tmp
mv: cannot move `/tmp/tmp.YteCuaPyok/tmp.tar.bz2' to `//tmp.tar.bz2':
Permission denied
Hierarchy gathered in //tmp.tar.bz2 and kept in /tmp/tmp.YteCuaPyok/tmp/
/usr/bin/hwloc-gather-topology.sh: line 83: //tmp.output: Permission denied
Expected topology output stored in //tmp.output

I have decided to implement --help command line option to get the basic
usage message.
$./hwloc-gather-topology.sh --help
./hwloc-gather-topology.sh <savepath>
  Saves the Linux topology files (/sys, /proc, ...) under <savepath>.tar.bz2
  and the corresponding lstopo verbose output under <savepath>.output
  Example ./hwloc-gather-topology.sh /tmp/$(uname -n)

I have added test if dirname=`dirname "$name"` is writable to avoid the
problem above.

I have written a draft of the man page for hwloc-gather-topology.sh as well.

I have attached my changes. Could you please kindly review them and if you
like it add them to the upstream?

Please let me know your opinion. If you like these changes is there any way
to release 1.11 any soon? I would then hold creating the RPM package for
Fedora and RHEL. I would consider this better solution than to patch
original 1.1 version.

Thanks
Jirka