Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Hwloc perl binding
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-16 05:38:39

Guy Streeter, le Wed 15 Dec 2010 23:47:39 +0100, a écrit :
> I noticed that some functions (in or not in the ABI I don't recall right
> now, I'm not at my desk) need the topology parameter only because the
> topology structure holds pointers to platform-specific routines. That seems
> like a confusing generalization of the parameter's meaning/purpose.

In the case of platform-specific routines, that's needed because
depending on how the discovery was done (synthetic topology, loaded
topology of another machine, etc.) the platform-specific routines will
vary, and we depend on that. For instance, some programmers want to be
able to simulate the execution of a distribution algorithm on another
machine topology, in that case the cpu-binding functions should just
succeed without doing anything. It's thus necessary to have the
topology pointer along the cpuset, to be sure of what should be done.

Samuel