Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] Hwloc perl binding
From: Guy Streeter (streeter_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-15 17:47:03

On 12/15/2010 02:02 PM, Brice Goglin wrote:
> As I said, we're trying to keep things consistent. My understanding is
> that a function should have a topology parameter if it traverses some
> links between objects inside the topology. If it only operates on a
> given object and does not traverse the topology at all, it will likely
> not need any topology parameter.

I noticed that some functions (in or not in the ABI I don't recall right now,
I'm not at my desk) need the topology parameter only because the topology
structure holds pointers to platform-specific routines. That seems like a
confusing generalization of the parameter's meaning/purpose.
It would be helpful, when creating bindings for object-oriented languages, if
for instance operations on bindings could be methods of the bindings object,
without the complication of holding the topology pointer in each object instance.
--Guy