Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] SWIG bindings
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-12-02 10:28:58

This looks great! Probably much better than SWIG-based bindings that I would have come up with.

One question: is there any value in having the $topology be a hash of public values instead of using the hwloc_get_obj_data() method? I ask because in all the perl scripty-foo that I've written that parses "lstopo -.xml", having the entire data structure available as a big hash has turned out to be quite useful, particularly on some heterogeneous development machines where the hwloc accessor functions can be misleading, or may require more logic than just trawling the data tree directly.

On Dec 2, 2010, at 4:25 AM, Bernd Kallies wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a perl-wrapper lib for hwloc based on hwloc-1.0.2. It is written
> manually because of the pointer things. However, the lib is not
> complete. I use it mainly for discovering topologies. Supporting pinning
> does not make sense for perl scripts to my opinion
>
> I'm thinking about either submitting this to CPAN or to the hwloc dev
> team. However, I first wanted to wait how things with hwloc 1.1 will
> look, when the dust has settled somehow.
>
> Any hints or ideas?
>
> Attached you find the man page.
>
> On Tue, 2010-11-30 at 11:07 -0500, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>> Would anyone object if I take a whack at making some SWIG bindings for hwloc? I'm thinking specifically for perl (because that's my scripting language of choice), but I could probably be convinced to look at python as well.
>>
>> (this would be for 1.2 at the earliest -- definitely not for 1.1)
>>

> --
> Dr. Bernd Kallies
> Konrad-Zuse-Zentrum für Informationstechnik Berlin
> Takustr. 7
> 14195 Berlin
> Tel: +49-30-84185-270
> Fax: +49-30-84185-311