Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc patches for upstream
From: Pavan Balaji (balaji_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-24 17:08:22

On 11/24/2010 09:14 AM, Jeff Squyres wrote:
>> 1. Disable doxygen builds by default:
>> https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/7498/mpich2/trunk/src/pm/hydra/tools/bind/hwloc/hwloc
>
> I agree with Brice on this one; you should be using embedded mode to
> disable a bunch of stuff by default. This will save you lots of
> hassles; not just doxygen.
>
> So my question -- per prior email -- is: why not use
> --disable-embedded-mode, and --disable-shared --enable-static? (vs.
> patching) IIRC, I put --disable-embedded-mode there exactly for the
> case of projects that want to embed but don't want to call our m4
> directly.

We use an AC_CONFIG_SUBDIR-style macro for launching the hwloc configure
(but slightly modified to do a sandbox-configure so we can catch
errors). So, the configure arguments come from what the user specified.
We have capability to internally add extra configure arguments
specifically for hwloc, but I was trying to avoid that. Besides, other
projects might not have the same macros that MPICH2 has.

With respect to using embedded mode, the reason is the same as above --
if hwloc's configure fails, we don't want MPICH2's configure to fail as
well. Using a sandbox configure allows us to catch hwloc's configure
errors and disable it for cases where it doesn't work.

  -- Pavan

--
Pavan Balaji
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/~balaji