Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc patches for upstream
From: Brice Goglin (Brice.Goglin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-24 04:52:53

Le 24/11/2010 10:31, Pavan Balaji a écrit :
> Folks,
>
> We are maintaining a few patches for hwloc within mpich2. I have just
> updated to 1.1rc3, and wanted to pass them through you guys to see if
> (1) these are still relevant, and (2) if they can be merged upstream.
>
> 1. Gracefully abort at configure time if the compiler doesn't support
> C99:
> https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/7497/mpich2/trunk/src/pm/hydra/tools/bind/hwloc/hwloc

I don't remember why we never applied this.

> 2. Slight improvement to the error message:
> https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/7499/mpich2/trunk/src/pm/hydra/tools/bind/hwloc/hwloc

Should be ok.

> 3. Warning squashes from shadowing global variables:
> https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/7501/mpich2/trunk/src/pm/hydra/tools/bind/hwloc/hwloc

Looks ok but I don't see why index/depth would be global variables.
Aren't they reserved keywords instead?

> The following patches are just a matter of preference. So you might
> not want to incorporate them, but here they are anyway:
>
> 1. Disable doxygen builds by default:
> https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/7498/mpich2/trunk/src/pm/hydra/tools/bind/hwloc/hwloc

I don't think we want this one since:
* doxygen is already disabled when building from official tarball since
we build the doc before make dist
* keeping doxygen enabled by default makes sure we don't forget to fix
the doc when changing the API

> 2. Don't automatically pick debugging or picky compiler options unless
> the user asked for them:
> https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/changeset/7500/mpich2/trunk/src/pm/hydra/tools/bind/hwloc/hwloc

I don't know about this one.

Brice