Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc to be included in RHEL 6.1
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-23 03:30:29

Christopher Samuel, le Tue 23 Nov 2010 05:28:32 +0100, a écrit :
> On 23/11/10 07:48, Brice Goglin wrote:
>
> > Anyway, FWIW, I think I am in favor of switching to
> > physical in graphic output by default.
>
> I'm not so sure, I would have thought that the graphical
> interface should default to what applications can see,

Err, what do you mean by "what applications can see" ?

> not the random "physical" (BIOS/kernel/cosmic-ray determined) layout.

We are not talking about the layout, which will be the same in either
case, but about the object identifiers, which is precisely what
applications can see in /proc/cpuinfo, /sys, the BIOS, etc. Logical
identifiers are an invention of hwloc.

> Perhaps we could have it as a compile time default to
> keep us who want to default to logical ordering happy ? :-)

I'd rather avoid making such thing depend on the distribution, it would
probably just bring yet more confusion :)

Samuel