Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc to be included in RHEL 6.1
From: Jeff Squyres (jsquyres_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-22 15:53:39

On Nov 22, 2010, at 3:48 PM, Brice Goglin wrote:

> We could also print a message in stdout:
> "Using physical/OS indexes by default in the graphic mode, use -l to
> revert to logical indexes"
> Anybody that may confuse logical/physical indexes will have to run
> hwloc-calc/bind from a terminal anyway, so printing this lstopo message
> to the terminal may help a bit? Otherwise, we could send the message to
> the soundcard, or by mail, or print it in the sky like the batman signal :)

I prefer duck-o-grams (i.e., where a flock of ducks show up at your door and honk out the message in morse code).

> I am not against printing something directly in the graphic output.
> Cropping isn't hard indeed. We could even remove it when -s (silent) is
> given, but -s already switches to text mode unfortunately.

Better yet -- include a legend/text explanation line (or even just a title, "Physical|Logical numbering of processors in [hostname] at [time/date]") by default in the graphical output, but provide a command line param to disable it -- even if it's a new command line option.

> Anyway, FWIW, I think I am in favor of switching to physical in graphic
> output by default.

Me too.

For corporate legal information go to: