Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] ***UNCHECKED*** [WARNING: A/V UNSCANNABLE]Re: hwloc-distrib --among
From: Samuel Thibault (samuel.thibault_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-18 11:40:03

Jirka Hladky, le Thu 18 Nov 2010 15:14:07 +0100, a écrit :
> thanks for looking into it! I'm using hwloc_distribute to distribute parallel
> jobs on multi-socket systems.
>
> Usually, it gives nice results: running
> hwloc-distrib --single <N>
> on box with <N> sockets will ditrbitute one job per socket. This is what I
> want.
>
> hwloc-distrib --single <2*N>
> will distribute 2 jobs per socket, picking-up PU wisely.
>
> It breaks however on strange systems. Please check with
> lstopo --input
> or hwloc-distrib --input
> on topology I sent you with my last e-mail (hp-dl980g7-01.tar.bz2, sent on
> Tuesday 09:30:37 pm)

Yes, use the --from socket of hwloc-distrib (previously called --among
socket).

> This is not working. So I have tried various --among and -ignore options to
> achieve this but without success.

--among socket is what should be working (renamed to --from after rc2),
at least it does work for me:

$ ./utils/hwloc-distrib --input /tmp/hp-dl980g7-01 --from socket 8
0x000000ff,,0x000000ff
0x00ff0000,,0x00ff0000
0xff000000,,0xff000000
0x000000ff,,0x000000ff,0x0
0x0000ff00,,0x0000ff00,0x0
0x00ff0000,,0x00ff0000,0x0
0xff000000,,0xff000000,0x0
0x0000ff00,,0x0000ff00

Isn't this what you want? (with additional --single of course)

Actually, I'm considering to just implement unbalanced distribution
support for v1.1, it shouldn't be too hard.

Samuel