Subject: Re: [hwloc-devel] hwloc-distrib --among
From: Jirka Hladky (jhladky_at_[hidden])
Date: 2010-11-18 09:02:13

On Tuesday, November 16, 2010 10:31:11 pm Brice Goglin wrote:
> Le 16/11/2010 15:18, Samuel Thibault a écrit :
> > Jirka Hladky, le Tue 16 Nov 2010 21:37:01 +0100, a écrit :
> >> There was some discussion about hwloc-distrib --among
> >>
> >> If I understand it correctly, --among accepts one of
> >> {pu,core,socket,node,machine}
> >
> > I actually didn't know about the --among option. It seems a bit
> > difficult to comprehend without reading the source code... Actually I'm
> > not even sure about the cases where it is useful.

Hi Brice,

> I don't remember the exact use case but it was basically a machine where
> the topology strange or broken and the user wanted to force the
> distribution among some given object type (the distribution of objects
> of other types was unusable).
Yes, I would need such option! Please check hp-dl980g7-01.tar.bz2 attached to
my previous e-mail for an example of strange topology (uneven NUMA
distribution).

The problem is that neither --among nor --ignore works for me. Perhaps I'm
using it in a wrong way? It seems also that --among does not check if the
input is valid. Try

hwloc-distrib --single --among blabla 4

Thanks!
Jirka